Saturday, May 03, 2014

Kremlin Says It Is Weighing Response To ‘Thousands’ Of Pleas For Help From Ukraine

MOSCOW, Russia -- The Kremlin claims it is receiving “thousands” of calls for assistance from Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine, and it has not yet decided on a response, a spokesman said Saturday, as Ukrainian authorities continued to move to push back separatists who have taken over key cities in the region after Ukraine suffered its bloodiest day in nearly three months.


Russia and Ukraine are positioning their troops for war (Click on image for larger size).

The Kremlin’s announcement came after weeks of declarations from Russian officials that if Russian-speakers in restive eastern Ukraine came under threat, they would consider intervening in a conflict that has left several cities in the hands of pro-Russian separatists.

On Friday, nine people were killed when the Ukrainian army launched its first major assault on a rebel stronghold and 34 died in clashes between pro-Ukrainian and pro-Russian mobs in the Black Sea port city of Odessa.

“People are calling in 'despair', asking for help. The overwhelming majority demand Russian help,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov told reporters Saturday.

“All these calls are reported to Vladimir Putin.”

The Kremlin, however, has not yet decided how to respond, Peskov said.

“This element is absolutely new to us,” he said, according to the Interfax newswire service.

He said that Russian authorities have lost their ability to influence pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine and that they would not be able to resolve the increasingly violent situation alone.

Ukrainian authorities meanwhile continued their efforts to dislodge separatists in the east.

“The active phase of the operation continued at dawn,” acting Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said on his Facebook page.

“We will not stop.”

Avakov said that the Ukrainian military had retaken a television tower near Kramatorsk, although his account was not immediately independently confirmed.

In one sign that the Kremlin may still retain sway over the actions of allies in eastern Ukraine, a group of seven international observers from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe were released by separatists in Slovyansk on Saturday after being held hostage for more than a week, Russian envoy Vladimir Lukin told the RIA Novosti newswire agency.

The release was a “voluntary humanitarian act,” he said.

It came after Russian President Vladimir Putin sent Lukin to the region on Thursday to push for their release.

Five Ukrainian military officers held captive alongside the observers were also freed. 

Secretary of State John F. Kerry welcomed the release of the OSCE personnel and condemned violence “by any side.”

“It’s a step,” he said of the release.

“But there are many other steps that need to be taken in order to be able to de-escalate the situation.”

Kerry, speaking in Kinshasa, Congo, said he discussed those further steps in a call Saturday to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

He said he reiterated the warning of economic sanctions against Russia issued by President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel last week, adding that any such measures would include broad sanctions on sectors of the Russian economy.

He did not elaborate. “It’s important for Russia to withdraw support for the separatists,” Kerry said.

“If those supported by Russia continue to interfere with the election, regrettably there will have to be sanctions, including the possibility of — the reality of — sector sanctions.”

He said he and Lavrov also discussed the rising level of violence in eastern Ukraine. 

“The United States condemns the violence that has been taking place by any side,” Kerry said.

“That includes the violence of anyone who lit a fire and caused the deaths of those 38 people or more in a building in Odessa.”

The Ukrainian army attacked Slovyansk in the east of the country on Friday at dawn, provoking the heaviest military fighting since a pro-Russian uprising began a month ago.

The army took control of the major checkpoints outside the city but was unable to force its way into the center, and two of its helicopters were shot down.

The biggest loss of lives came in Odessa.

A pro-Ukrainian rally attended by thousands of soccer fans before a game Friday night was attacked by pro-Russian separatists.

The two sides fought running battles through the city in the afternoon, throwing stones at each other and erecting barricades.

At least three people were killed.

Friday evening, a pro-Ukrainian group attacked a camp where the pro-Russian mob had pitched tents, forcing them to flee to a nearby government building, a witness said.

Someone then threw gasoline bombs into the building.

Police said 31 people were killed when they choked on smoke or jumped out of windows.

Asked who had thrown the molotov cocktails, pro-Ukrainian activist Diana Berg said, “Our people — but now they are helping them to escape the building.”

It amounted to the deadliest day in the Ukrainian crisis since February, when scores of people were killed, many by snipers, in protests against then-President Viktor Yanukovych.

Ukraine’s acting president, Oleksandr Turchynov, said Friday that the military assault on the eastern city of Slovyansk was intended to protect civilians from “mercenaries of foreign states, terrorists and criminals who are taking hostages, killing and torturing people, and threatening the territorial integrity and stability of Ukraine.” 

Two Ukrainian Mi-24 attack helicopters were shot down and two crew members killed, while seven soldiers were wounded in the offensive, the government said.

One helicopter pilot was captured by the rebels and transferred to a hospital, medics told local news media.

Ukraine’s Defense Ministry said a third helicopter, an Mi-8 transport reportedly carrying medics, was also hit and a service member wounded.

The rebels said three of their fighters and two civilians were killed.

But Turchynov said many “criminals” were killed, wounded or taken prisoner.

A spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin called the offensive a “criminal” act and said it had “effectively destroyed the last hope for the implementation of the Geneva agreements” reached April 17 that were intended to defuse the crisis.

Under the accord, signed by Ukraine, Russia, the United States and the European Union, separatists were supposed to lay down their arms and vacate government buildings they have occupied across eastern Ukraine.

Ukraine accuses Russia of financing and arming the separatists, who have vowed to hold a referendum on independence on May 11.

Russia denies the charge.

In Washington, President Obama expressed strong support Friday for the Ukrainian offensive and said the United States and Europe “are united in our determination to impose costs on Russia for its actions” in destabilizing eastern Ukraine.

Russia has massed tens of thousands of troops along the border with Ukraine, and Friday’s developments raised the risks of a Russian military response.

Russian officials have said they would intervene in Ukraine to protect ethnic Russians, and the Kremlin said Friday that Putin was “closely following developments.”

At the U.N. Security Council, Russia and the United States again traded accusations and insults.

Using Cold War language, Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations, Vitaly Churkin, said that if the “criminal misadventures of the Kiev clique are not stopped, . . . catastrophic consequences cannot be avoided.” 

Churkin charged that “English-speaking foreigners” had been overheard in radio communications during Ukraine’s current “punitive operations” against the separatists. 

The United States, France and Britain were scathing in their responses.

“A pyromaniac fireman situation is what we have here,” French U.N. Ambassador Gérard Araud said.

Russia is “screaming in order to make us forget that this path was set long ago, and it’s no longer possible to go backwards.”

Vyacheslav Ponomarev, who has been appointed mayor of Slovyansk by the insurgents, urged women, children and senior citizens to remain in their homes but asked men with guns “to render all possible assistance.”

“We will defend the city. We will win,” he said in a video message posted on the Internet.

Stella Khorosheva, a rebel spokeswoman, posted on her Facebook account:

“The situation is stable on the streets, but there is a high risk of full-scale action. In short, it’s war.”

The Ukrainian Security Service said its fighters were facing “highly skilled foreign military men” in Slovyansk.

It said one of the helicopters was shot down with a surface-to-air missile, which it said undercut Russia’s claims that the city is under the control of civilians who bought arms in “hunting stores.”

Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt agreed.

“Ukrainian helicopters shot down in Slovyansk. Some elderly ladies bought some RPGs or missiles at the local grocery store, I assume,” he posted on Twitter.

The European Union said it is watching the developments with growing concern, and NATO has said it must view Russia as an adversary in light of apparent efforts to destabilize the region following its annexation of Crimea in March.

But Western leaders have made it clear they have no intention of engaging Russia militarily over Ukraine.

Ukraine’s Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said the objective of Friday’s operation in Slovyansk was to free several hostages taken by the rebels, force the rebels to lay down their arms, release administrative buildings from their control and restore the normal functioning of the city administration.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said that English-speaking foreigners were seen among the Ukrainian forces mounting the assault on Slovyansk on Friday, echoing its previous charges that U.S. contractors were involved in Ukraine’s response to the unrest in the east.

“The United States and the E.U. are taking on a huge responsibility in cutting off the road to a peaceful resolution of the crisis,” the Foreign Ministry said.

Source: The Washington Post Europe

No comments: